Monday, March 03, 2008

Issue 457 - I Think My Brain Might Be Too Big

Hi,
I hope everything is ok where you are.
March already!

I had a migraine over the weekend.
It's hard to describe how unpleasant it is unless you've suffered one yourself, but a full blown migraine is not something you'd wish on your worst enemy.

I was driving to the curling rink, to take part in the National Mixed Championships.
In the Mixed game there are 2 men and 2 women playing alternate positions.
One of the nice customs in curling is that you kiss the women 3 times before a game, and after too!
That makes 24 kisses a game, and let me tell you, at my sorry state of affairs, every one counts...

Anyhoo, on the way to the rink, I turned a corner, and noticed a smudge on the windscreen.
I went to wipe it with my fingers, only to find that when my fingers got to the area, I couldn't actually see my hand there either.
I drew my hand back, and noticed that the 'smudge' had moved to a different place, and for me this vision problem is the first sign of a migraine.
It's not good, even more so when I'm doing 60 mph at the time!

I pulled over as soon as I could, and took my pills, which experience has taught me to keep with me.
I could have then turned and gone home, but I was now closer to the rink than home so I pressed on.
By the time I got there my vision was holding steady, and I told everyone that I might not be able to play, it would depend.

As it happens I was able to play in a fragile state of health.
I was furious about it, it's so annoying that it seems to happen randomly and at such speed.
I try to cut out certain triggers, but couldn't think of anything in particular that had started this one.
I try to tell people it's because my brain is too big that it hits the inside of my skull, but people don't seem to accept that...

In the past I have tried to 'think' myself out of a migraine, to tell myself that I am fine, that it won't get any worse.
I've learnt that this doesn't really work.

It's true that worrying about it will not help, but I haven't yet shown myself that thinking it better makes it better.
As a result, the only thing I can do is accept it.

Acceptance is one of the things I talk about in my book 'Transform Your Life'.
Acceptance can mean you view many situations in a totally new light, and it can bring a huge increase in contentment, without changing anything apart from your thought.

During my fragile game, I was playing badly.
I couldn't tell if it was due to the migraine alert, or just bad play, but either way I was getting annoyed with myself.
Of course the more annoyed I got, the more I tried to force my game with my conscious rather than let my subconscious play as it knows how.
As a result my game got no better, until I realised what I was doing, and stopped trying to force things.

It's another lesson about achievement - wanting something desperately is fine, but if you take desperate action you an often make things *worse*.
Sometimes it's easier to relax and let the subconsious use the lessons you have taught it.

Results wise, my team came a solid 4th (4 teams).
Roll on next year!

Ok, that's it for this week - are you guilty of over-thinking things, when maybe you'd be better off just using the tools of acceptance and the subconscious mind?

Don't forget if you'd like to sponsor my marathon run, please click the link below.

'Til Next Time,
Health & Happiness,
Gordon
P.S. If you know anyone else who you think would enjoy the Great Gordino Newsletter, please pass it on to them!

Please sponsor my marathon:
http://www.gordonbryan.com/marathon08.html

Transform Your Life In 21 Days:
http://www.transformyourlifenow.com

How To Make Money From Sport:
http://www.gordonbryan.com/sport

Grab my free 8 Step Goal Achievement Plan by sending a blank email to:
mailto:transform@getresponse.com

No comments: