Monday, November 26, 2007

Issue 445 - A Marathon Responsibility

Hi,
I everything is ok where you are.

Today's issue is called 'Marathon Responsibility' - it focuses on 2 classics of goal achievement.
I write about them over and over, and make no apology for it.

2 news items from last week gave me the first subject, and then something that happened to me this morning provided the second, so I am writing as fresh as if squeezed from the udder...

Last week there was a huge uproar when it was revealed that the UK Government department for tax had managed to allow the confidential details of 25 million citizens to be copied onto cd and sent in the internal post, where they promptly got lost.

Changing tack swiftly, on Wednesday the England football team played a shocker, lost, and failed to qualify for a big tournament for the first time in 13 years.

The England manager said 'I take full reponsibility.'
Asked if he'd resign from his £2.5 million a year job, he answered 'No.'

The man in charge of the government department, Chancellor Alistair Darling, said 'I take full responsibility.'
Asked if he'd resign, and you might know what's coming with this one, he answered 'No.'

Hmm...

Now in the case of the football manager, his argument is that he wants to get the job right next time, and enjoys the job, so it's not up to him to resign.
Some sort of logic there I guess, but he was sacked anyway the next morning, so case closed.

The Chancellor has only been in the job 6 months, and has to manage the finances of an economy hovering around the 5th largest in the world.
It could be argued that there is no way he could possibly have known about the protocol that allowed the blunder, that it's someone's job way further down the line.
I can see that point of view, but it gives the perception that no-one in charge is held responsible.
When the man in ultimate charge is then saying he takes full responsibility, it smacks of hypocrisy.

In my books I write about taking responsibility, and meaning it.
Your current situation is a result of decisions you made, actions you took in the past.
If you accept responsibility for this, it means you accept that the decisions and actions you take right now will affect your future circumstances.
This is staggeringly effective in triggering extreme changes and benefits if you embrace it fully.

Ok, on to my news from this morning....
A large plop through the letterbox saw a package from the London Marathon organisers, saying I have been accepted for the 2008 race!

After being rejected in 2007 and running the race on my own, I was quite happy to never run another one because let's face it, it's a sodding long way!
However, and this is brilliant marketing, the organisers not only promise you a place after 5 rejections in a row, they automatically send you the entry form for the next year!

This is temptation that's hard to resist, and I duly sent mine back and returned it, not expecting to get in.
So I'm sure you can imagine me laughing out loud when I got the mail today, and the thought if all that training ahead!

The old adage of 'be careful what you wish for' springs to mind.
It does illustrate another point I make though, about the power of action.

Because I took action, I sewed seeds which may or may not have borne fruit - in this case they have, and I can now run in the race which marks the centenary of the first race over the 26 miles 385 yard distance.

Last year since I was running on my own around my neighbourhood streets, I didn't wear any sequins due to fear of local thugs with sawn off baseball bats, but maybe this is the time to go for the sequins - watch this space...

I write about my last marathon in my books.
I also write about taking action, and accepting responsibility.
I also write about how to make $100 a day and at the moment the whole package is just $67:
http://www.gordonbryan.com/curlingforgold.html

Ok, that's it for this week - I'm off to lie down in a dark room to conside those 26 miles, and leave you with this thought - do you *really* accept responsibility for your life?

'Til Next Time,
Health and Happiness,
Gordon
P.S. If you know anyone else who you think would enjoy the Great Gordino Newsletter, please pass it on to them!

The Great Gordino's Curling For Gold:
http://www.gordonbryan.com/curlingforgold.html

Transform Your Life In 21 Days:
http://www.transformyourlifenow.com

How To Make Money From Movies:
http://www.gordonbryan.com/movies

Grab my free 8 Step Goal Achievement Plan by sending a blank email to:
mailto:transform@getresponse.com

No comments: