Monday, May 12, 2008

Issue 467 - 100,000 Dead In London

Hi,
I hope Monday finds you well.

It finds me well.
I may have a bad toe, I may have noticed a little bald patch on my head, and that I need ever more quantities of dye (Excellence Creme by L'Oreal Numer 5 Natural Brown) to keep the grey at bay.
I may have maintained my remarkable ability to apparenty repulse women, but all in all I'm well.

I'm alive, I have a roof, I have food, I have choice.
Unlike all those poor people in Burma.

When the death toll first rose from 5,000 to 10 then 15,000 you knew the final figure was going to be high.
Now estimated at well over 100,000, and with disease possibly set to kill over a million as the Government stalls the help of the international community.

I called this issue 100,000 dead in London because it helps to imagine how the world would change if that were true.
As it happens it's Burma not London, but the people are people wherever it is.
What can you say when the government there is more interested in staying in power than letting other countries in to help.

I've always said this newsletter is about wealth creation as one of its' subjects, and part of that is to make sure we fully appreciate the wealth and abundance we already have but take for granted.
Not everyone has it, and we should appreciate the moment to the full.

On another subject, it's the ephemeral (ooh, good word) nature of live entertainment which appeals to me. There is nothing like sitting in an audience and watching a live performance that makes your body react by goosebumps.

The current series of Britain's Got Talent does just this.
Yes, there are the usual bozos and deluded idiots that come on, but when a non showbiz-trained person comes on, opens their mouth and produces a voice that gives goosebumps, it's one of the moments I'm talking about.

This week it was a 12 year old girl, who walked out, smiled sweetly and stood rather ungainly at the microphone, Faryl Smith.
She started to sing, and the whole theatre fell pin droppingly silent as she delivered a performance of Ave Maria to drop jaws.

The audience were caught in one of these ephemeral moments, and all they could do at the end was stand up and cheer.
She just smiled sweetly again, and said 'thank you very much.
Brilliant.

That moment, that one moment, has gone.
She has the appeal and talent to clearly be able to sell several million albums, but it's that one moment I choose to remember.

It normally is singers that have this effect, you may remember Paul Potts who won last year.
Music can affect us like this due to the way the soundwaves act with our brain.

I wish I could sing, but when I try the soundwaves react with audiences brains in a way that normally inspires abuse or projectile vomiting.

I've been to several teachers. I remember once I went to Jay Ashton, a woman who was in British band Bucks Fizz.
My brother always joked that when she asked me what I wanted to sing, I should have said 'can you teach me to sing Making Your Mind Up slightly off key like you used to?'
I reckon she may not have found that funny, but it makes me giggle everytime.

My voice will never compete with some of these natural voices, like 12 year old Faryl Smith.
I accept it, and enjoy the moments she and others can give me.

I smile at bad jokes.
I smile at myself, and I appreciate the abundance I have compared to those 100s of thouands in Burma.
Make sure you appreciate what you have.

Ok, that's it for this week, I'm off to appreciate some chocolate.

'Til Next Time,
Health & Happiness,
Gordon
P.S. If you know anyone else who you think would enjoy the Great Gordino Newsletter, please pass it on to them!

Transform Your Life In 21 Days:
http://www.transformyourlifenow.com

Fancy making money by writing about your favourite singer?
http://www.powernicheclub.com

Grab my free 8 Step Goal Achievement Plan by sending a blank email to:
mailto:transform@getresponse.com

No comments: