Monday, December 10, 2007

Issue 447 - Were The Bee Gees Right?

Hi,
I hope everything is ok where you are.

One of Britain's most successful bands, The Bee Gees, wrote a song called 'Words'.
In it they said 'it's only words, and words are all I have, to take your heart away.'
Mind you I don't want to rave about it too much, as the next 2 lines consisted of nothing more than 'na na na' several times.

Anyhoo, it's a good song, and eases me (somewhat painfully I accept) into one of my favourite self improvement concepts.
It's to do with the words we use to ourselves to describe ourselves.

Most people don't say these words outloud, they think them quietly.
This can be very harmful, as it can lead to you using the most damaging of words to form the most damaging of thoughts.
I remember the motivational author Earl Nightingale was a big believer in learning new words, because the more words we know, the more ways we can formulate thoughts, and the better we are able to challenge self limiting beliefs created by no-one other than ourselves!

I believe firmly in creating a positive framework of words to describe your current circumstances in life.
This should be based around an acceptance that they are the result of choices you made in the past and continue to make in the present.
If you add in the crucial follow-on that your future is also shaped by your choices, and use the most positive words you can, you are setting yourself to go in one direction only, and that's forwards and upwards.
(hmm, hang on is that 2 directions?)

I'm also a believer in talking to yourself outloud.
I wouldn't recommend doing this in public, but when you do it in private, it forces your thoughts to be less vague, forces them into structured sentences.
Once you say them outloud, you can then challenge them for yourself, to see if they actually are sensible when out in the real world as opposed to the potential fantasies of the mind.

Some people poo-poo this kind of idea as absolute nonsense.
Fair enough, but I'll wager most of those people have never actually tried it themselves.
It works for me, which is why I write about it so many times, so if you haven't ever tried it, give it a whirl and see how it goes!

Ok, that's it for this week.
It's a short and sweet newsletter, and I have unashamedly repeated something I've mentioned before, because I think it's such a simple yet effective technique which can only help people - so what words to do use to describe yourself?

'Til Next Time,
Health and Happiness,
Gordon
P.S. If you know anyone else who you think would enjoy the Great Gordino Newsletter, please pass it on to them!

The Great Gordino's Curling For Gold:
http://www.gordonbryan.com/curlingforgold.html

Transform Your Life In 21 Days:
http://www.transformyourlifenow.com

How To Make Money From Movies:
http://www.gordonbryan.com/movies

Grab my free 8 Step Goal Achievement Plan by sending a blank email to:
mailto:transform@getresponse.com

No comments: