Monday, August 06, 2007

Issue 427 - How Many Years Would You Give To A Goal?

Hi,
I hope everything is ok where you are.

I had already decided what this issue would be about, when something popped through my letterbox which tied in nicely, so here goes...

You'll remember, (and my legs certainly do!) that to mark hitting 40 I set the goal of training and running my first marathon, aiming at the London race.
The places are decided by ballot, and I missed out, so decided to just do a marathon on the same time and date by myself around my local streets.
I finished with a time of 5 hour 45, which is no firework worthy time, but a good achievement I am proud of.

This weekend I got the entry form in the post for the 2008 race!
I've decided to send it off - who knows, I might get in this year.
To be honest I'm not fussed if I never run another marathon, it's a sodding long way, but the opportunity to apply is there, and maybe my original goal will transpire a year later than I thought.

By the way I also found out that 2008 is the centenary of the modern marathon.
I knew that at the London Olympics in 1908 the distance of 26 miles was extended so the finish was in front of the Royal Box, but I also found out the start was extended so the Royal children could watch it it Windsor Castle!

Of course in those days the British Empire covered probably 25% of the planet.
Not any more...

This week also sees the delayed achievement of a goal, but this time the dealy is over 20 years!

The Space Shuttle Endeavour is set for launch on Wednesday, and one of the crew is Barbara Morgan.
I've mentoned Eileen Collins in space, I've mentioned Suni Williams in space, and this time it's Barbara.

She was the standby for the teacher-in-space program, which saw Christa McAuliffe and the rest of the Challenger crew perish a few seconds after launch.
Obviously that set the shuttle program back years, as did the Columbia accident, and Morgan has been waiting for her space flight for 20 years.
Certainly if you're going to give 20 years to a goal, it has to be a way of life, and Morgan's been a NASA employee for that time, with the associated life changes that brought.

Sometimes goals do take longer than planned, in fact they *often* do.
It's how you react when the timescale changes which dictates whether your goal will happen or not, patience and acceptance are essential parts of the formula.

Ok, that's it for today, watch out for Endeavour's launch, see Barbara Morgan achieve a goal after 20 years, and consider if you're really giving your goals enough time before you give up?

'Til Next Time,
Health and Happiness,
Gordon
P.S. If you know anyone else who you think would enjoy the Great Gordino Newsletter, please pass it on to them!

Transform Your Life In 21 Days:
http://www.transformyourlifenow.com/

How to make money from movies:
http://www.gordonbryan.com/movies

Grab my free 8 Step Goal Achievement Plan by sending a blank email to:
mailto:transform@getresponse.com

No comments: