Monday, May 15, 2006

Issue 366 - Mon 15th May 2006

*************************************************************
The Great Gordino Newsletter - Issue 366 – Mon 15th May 2006
*************************************************************
Hi,
I hope everything is ok with you.
2 points to make today, about integrity, and the little things.

My training for the marathon is going well.
I did 4 miles yesterday, still managing 12 minute miles, with a total of 17 miles for the week.
I'm confident of getting that down to 10 minute miles in time, which would be a marathon time of 4 hours 20 mins.

Even after 2 weeks of training on what seems an easy schedule, I can already feel and see the difference.
I've noticed bulges appearing on my legs, rather impressively even if I say so myself.

My stomach hasn't gone yet.
In fact I took some pictures of it, so I can look back and note the difference.
I was tempted to put them on show, but I had to sit down with a damp cloth for my head after looking at them, and it's my bloody stomach, so I'd need a lot of convincing to display to all and sundry!

I've had no huge training stints, it's little and often, and what a great way to achieve goals.
By not over doing things, but by consistently following an established plan, it doesn't take long to start seeing results.

When I go out training I plan the route so that I can cover the time or distance required, include a cool down distance, and arrive back home.
Last week I finished a session, and was feeling good as I got home.
Until I put my hand in my pocket that was...

I was expecting to feel my door keys, but found nothing except a blob of fluff.
My first thought was that if the fluff looked like Elvis, I might be able to sell it on ebay,
My second thought was 'Uh-oh, no keys'

I immediately went to my back up plan, which was to wait a few seconds and then put my hand n my pocket again as in case they might magically be there this time.
When this failed, my shoulders sagged as I had to accept that my keys had fallen out on my session.

Fortunately my landlord is also my friend, and lives locally, so I was able to go to his and pick up the spares.
I then retraced my route, in case I found them lying on the pavement, but they were nowhere to be seen.

This was Tuesday evening, and on Thursday morning, the post landed with an extra loud thump on the mat.
I opened the envelope and out popped my keys!

I knew there was nothing on the keys to mark the address - all it had was little keyfob which acted as a loyalty card for the supermarket.
Someone had found my keys, handed them in to Tescos, who had them traced my address on the computer and sent them to me.

How impressive is that!

I had not expected to see them again, but thanks to the integrity of the person who had handed them in, they were returned.
It's was a little thing for a complete stranger to do, but it gave me a real injection of feelgood factor, and put a smile on my face.

Ok, that's it for today, consider the little things - doing the little things without reward because they are the right thing to do really brings good things, and repeating little steps on a plan can take you to amazing goals.

Have a good week.

'Til Next Time,
Health and Happiness,
Gordon
Get involved with my Marathon Milllion at:
http://www.thegreatgordinomarathon.com

No comments: