Monday, July 31, 2006

Issue 377 - Mon 31st Jul 2006

Hi,
I hope Monday finds you well.

Today I want to talk about discipline.
Self-discipline.
In general life it will get you a long way, doing the right thing just because you know it's the right thing to do, but in particular, discipline is vital when it comes to goal achievement.

I did some more research on my groin muscle this week, and it seems that I should do no training for 3 weeks!
That's really frustrating, I want to be out there getting myself ever more ready for the race, but I need to be disciplined.
If I aggravate the muscle more now, the 3 week lay off will turn into a 3 month lay off, and the end of that road would be surgery.
Sticking to the 3 week lay off now will hopefully lead to a quick recovery and return to training.

I've been trying to think how I caused it.
I certainly didn't feel any distinct twangs or pains, but I suspect it may be a *lack* of discipline which caused it.
When following an established plan, it's important to apply all the tasks.
That includes stopping when required.

There have been a couple of weeks when I exceeded the distance on my Sunday long run.
In fact I can think of at least 3 times when I did that, and it could be those small extra steps which strained the muscle - I know I won't be doing it again when I resume!

The entry forms for the 2007 marathon came out today.
I have alreedy sent mine off.
The facts say that I only have a 2 in 10 chance of getting in.
I'm not surprised.
There are around 35,000 places avaialable.
If you have been rejected for the previous 5 times, you are guaranteed a place.
Then there are the many thousands of places reserved for charities.
That doesn't leave many left for the first timer like me.
Still, that 20% chance goes down to 0% if I don't apply!

The charity I chose, MIND, has already filled up its' places, so I need to rethink.
There are loads of charities which have guaranteed places, although loooking down the list I have never heard of most of them!
That doesn't really appeal, I need to guarantee raising at least £1000 for a place, although it would get me in the race!
Hmm...

Or, I could just go with my 20% chance in the general ballot, and if I don't get in, just do my own marathon around the local streets?
What I could then do is donate (mmm, sounds like doughnut, mmm) to whichever charity the donater prefers.

Still, I guess I have plenty of time to think about it!

Talking about self-discipline, I had to laugh yesterday when I was doing my shopping.
I'm not a big fan of shopping, unless a superb special offer jumps out at me, but I remembered how recently I had been wandering around the supermarket, and saw a new flavour of crisps being advertised - lamb and mint sauce.
'Ooh, I wonder what they taste like?' I thought, and picked up a couple of (special price) multi bags.

I got home, and launched into a bag.
They did in fact taste very much like lamb and mint sauce.
It was at that point that I remembered - I don't even like lamb and mint sauce, and never had done!

Why would I possibly buy crisps in a flavour of something I've never liked?
Lack of self discipline, that's why!
They must have seen me coming in that shop!

Ok, that's it for today, consider if you are applying enough self discipline this week.
Have a good week.

'Til Next Time,
Health and Happiness,
Gordon
Get involved with my Marathon at:
http://www.thegreatgordinomarathon.com

No comments: