Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Issue 479 - Should Welfare Be Free?

Hi,
I hope Tuesday finds you well.

Today I want to mention something I spoke about 2 weeks ago, concerning the benefit system here in the UK.

Firstly though, I will just mention Yelena Isinbayeva. Since last week she has broken her world record again.
With the Olympics starting this week, I wouldn't bet against her doing it again.

Ok, back to the benefits...
The government has announced swingeing changes to the benefit system.

By the way, what a great word that is, 'swingeing', not to be confused with 'swinging' which is something that consenting adults do with strangers.
In fact I went to a swinging party once - everyone stood around in a circle and threw their keys into the centre, the idea being that it's a mystery as to who's keys you pick up.
I got an AA box on the M25...

Not true, just a little joke there.

The swingeing change is that people who have been claiming benefits for a year will have to do 4 weeks of unpaid work, work like cleaning up graffiti and so on.
Anyone claiming benefit for 2 years may have to do this work full time.

I think this should have been done years ago.
Of course it has created an uproar, amongst the benefit claimants. A couple were interviewed on the TV, and they were moaning 'why should I have to work for it?'

Of course the reason is that their benefit is paid for by the working taxpayer, so why should the person on benefit get it for free?

The crux of the problem is that the majority, not all, but the majority of people on benefit are too thick to understand this basic concept. If you asked them where the benefit money came from, they would not have the faintest idea, and they have been brought up in families of a benefit culture, i.e. no need to go to school, just live on benefits.

In fact here's something else scary I read, that 100,000 kids leave school each year here unable to read or write!!
Eh???

You have to take that figure with a pinch of salt, it looks suspiciously rounded, and you also have to wonder that if the brainiacs that worked out that figure put the energy into teaching reading and writing in the first place, the problem might not be so bad!

In days gone by if you made a mistake in writing, you might get a clip round the head with a blackboard wiper, and told to write 300 lines until you learnt it.
Today, you get sent on a trip to Disneyland.
If you're really bad and maybe punch the teacher, your family will probably get a trip too.

As a result, 100,000 leave school each year as dunces, who spend their life living on benefits paid for by those who went to school and work for a living.

This is why the importance of education and responsibility cannot be overstated.

I was talking to someone the other day about my book, 'Transform Your Life in 21 Days!'
I cover this ground in the book, plus other subjects about goal achievement and success theory.
I am genuinely proud of it, and I re-read it the other day. It still stands up 5 years after I wrote it, and I believe and use the theories today just as I did then.

I've decided that to celebrate it being 5 years since I wrote it, I will offer it for $5.
On the sales page you'll see it is priced at $27.
As it happens I think that's a good price, but the $5 mark may get it into more hands, which is fine by me.

If you go to the normal page, then click on my picture at the bottom, and it's actually a link to the $5 page.
http://www.transformyourlifenow.com

Ok that's it for this week!

'Til Next Time,
Health & Happiness,
Gordon
P.S. If you know anyone else who you think would enjoy the Great Gordino Newsletter, please pass it on to them!

Transform Your Life In 21 Days:
http://www.transformyourlifenow.com

Make money writing about The Beijing Olympics?
http://www.gordonbryan.com/sport

Grab my free 8 Step Goal Achievement Plan by sending a blank email to:
mailto:transform@getresponse.com

No comments: