Monday, January 08, 2007

Issue 399 - Move Your Bloomin' Arse!

Hi,
I hope everything is ok where you are.
I'm calling today's issue 'Move Your Bloomin Arse.'

Things are ploughing along nicely for me.
My motivation is back for my marathon training.
I wrote in December that it had taken a kick in the knackers when I learnt I hadn't got in the London Marathon, but I followed one of my goal achievement ideas - when your motivation takes a down turn, make sure you don't take any negative actions.
Acknowedge the down turn for what it is, just a blip, and wait for it to come back.
That's what I did, and that's what happened, so I am back pounding the streets.

My curling is also coming along.
I am playing in my first competition this weekend.
There is a cash prize too! I suspect that there will be other teams too good for us, but curling is one of those games where strange results can happen.

Ok, today's main subject - Move Your Bloomin' Arse!

It's a line from a multi Oscar winning film from 1964, do you know which one?
Well it was My Fair Lady, starring Rex Harrison and Audrey Hepburn.
I'd even go so far as to call her the scrumptious Audrey Hepburn. Maybe you might think of Rex Harrison as scrumptious, but I'm sticking with Audrey.
She could round off my vowels anytime, if you know what I mean...

Anyhow, back to the film, and why it's a great model of goal achievement.
In the story, the common flower seller Eliza Dolittle has a chance encounter with Henry Higgins, a professor of speech, and Higgins jokes that he could pass her off as a lady within 6 months.
(goal achievement note - belief in ability)

The next day out of the blue, Eliza presents herself unannounced at Higgins' house, having overheard his address the previous night, and tells him that she is there for the lessons she had mentioned.
(goal achievement note - taking action with no guarantee of success)

Despite initially rejecting the idea out of hand, Higgins considers it, and decides it would be a fun experiment for himself.
(goal achievement note - Eliza's action getting a result that would never had occurred otherwise).

Hours after hours, days after days of work seem to produce no progress whatsoever.
(goal achievement note - progress may seem slow, but persistence is the key)

Just as they are about to give up, Eliza speaks a sentence in perfectly pronounced English.
(goal achievement note - the subconscious takes time, but will always soak up what you tell it.)

They try the new Eliza out at Ascot races, but despite a good accent, her manners let her down, culminating in her yelling at a horse to 'move your bloomin' arse!'
(goal achievement note - at some point, your progress must be tested in a real environment.)

Six intensive weeks later, Eliza passes herself off flawlessly at a high society ball.
(goal achievement note - you can do exactly what you aim to do!)

Eliza and Higgins realise they have formed a close bond with each other.
(setting out towards one goal can lead to all sorts of surprises).

I hope you can see why, as an author of a book about goal achievement, that My Fair Lady is the kind of film I love to watch over and over, it's a perfect example of how to achieve goals and improve yourself.
(Plus of course, it has the bonus of Audrey Hepburn!)

Ok, that's it for this week, how can you relate 'Move Your Bloomin Arse!' to your life?

I'll see you next week for Issue 400.
Regular readers will know you are in for a treat, and newer readers, er, well you're in for the same treat!

'Til Next Time,
Health and Happiness,
Gordon
Grab my free 8 Step Goal Achievement Plan by sending a blank email to:
mailto:transform@getresponse.com

No comments: